Keydets Fall to The Mount at Home, 12-6
Courtesy: Firehouse Photography & Trophies

LEXINGTON, Va. - A slow first half doomed the VMI lacrosse team as the Keydets fell to visiting Mount St. Mary's by a 12-6 score on a breezy Saturday afternoon at Drill Field No. 2.

The Keydets (2-1) got behind 4-2 after the opening quarter and had the same result in the second quarter as The Mount (1-4) raced to an 8-4 lead by the half. The Keydets battled in the second half but could only manage two goals in the fourth period as Mount St. Mary's picked up their first win of the season.

"It was a frustrating outcome because I strongly feel like we played very hard and fought for 60 minutes," said VMI head coach Jon Birsner. "Defense played hard and made enough stops to put us in a position to have success. I'm really proud of their effort.

"Offensively, I thought our pace and effort put us in good spots but we seemed tight at times and that led to turnovers. 46 shots is great to see but we obviously need to score more than six with all of those opportunities. But everything is fixable and these kids are working hard and I’m excited for the quick turnaround for our next opponent because our kids enjoy that next challenge."

Sophomore attack Ryan Perouty again had a solid outing as he led the team with five points by way of two goals and three assists. Johnny Daniel provided a pair of goals on a game high 12 shots while John O'Donnell and Josh Bass each had one goal in the game.

In his third start, VMI goalie Benjamin Stump earned a season-high 19 saves including six in both the second and fourth quarters.

The Mount proved dominant in faceoffs winning 15 of 21 to give themselves possession at critical moments and the Keydets could not take advantage of four extra-man opportunities.Chris DiPretoro led the way with four goals for The Mount in the win.

The Keydets face a quick turnaround with Wagner College on the horizon early next week. Faceoff is set for a 12 p.m. start Tuesday in Staten Island, New York.